South African doctors have successfully performed the world’s first penis transplant on a 21-year-old man whose organ had been amputated three years ago after a botched circumcision. The unnamed recipient, a 21-year-old who lost his penis in a ritual circumcision gone wrong, is reported to be delighted by his surgery’s outcome. it could take years for a body to fully accept or reject such a transplant. The donor must also be the right fit for the patient because of the psychological impact of reattaching a sexual organ. The nine-hour operation, which took place in December, was part of a pilot study by Tygerberg Hospital in Cape Town and the University of Stellenbosch .though the surgery took place three months ago, but doctors in Cape Town only just announced its success at a press conference on Friday — only recently able to confirm that the recipient’s new sex organ is fully functional.
One of the involved doctor told that it doesn’t save their life, but any of these young men when they have penile amputations are ostracized, stigmatized and take their own life. As many as 250 penis amputations occur in South Africa each year due to botched circumcisions, according to estimates. This procedure is another excellent example of how medical research, technical know-how and patient-centered care can be combined in the quest to relieve human suffering.
The South African case, though, may hopefully set a precedent for more successful future operations. The transplant is available to men who have lost their penises to accidents and cancers, and can even be used as a long-term solution for cases of severe erectile dysfunction
The doctors involved consider the operation a success, but the broader medical significance is still in debate. A penis transplant was attempted once before in China, but in that instance the man’s body rejected the organ
Comment here !
RAMPUR:- Minister for Urban Development, Ramkumari Jhankri promised to put sincere efforts to discharge the responsibility entrusted to her. At
LUMBINI:- Home Minister Balkrishna Khand said safeguarding of the Constitution and protection of the lives and property of the people
N24 Correspondent, KATHMANDU:- In the last 24 hours, an additional 591 people have been confirmed to be infected with the
N24 Correspondent, KATHMANDU:- Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba is going to the United Kingdom in the third week of November