In association with
Logo Logo Logo

Death toll in sinking off Turkey now at least 27

People carry a body of one of the migrants that were drowned as they were trying to reach Greece, at a port in Bakilesir, Turkey, on Monday, February 8, 2016. Photo: IHA via AP

ANKARA, (AP): Turkish coast guard officials say they have recovered the bodies of five more migrants, raising to 27 the death toll in the latest boat sinking accident off the Turkish coast. At least 11 of the victims are children, an official said.

A coast guard statement said a search-and-rescue mission, backed by helicopters, was still underway for other migrants reported missing after a boat carrying them to the Greek island of Lesbos went down in the Bay of Edremit on Monday.

The Dogan news agency had earlier reported that 11 other migrants had drowned off the resort of Dikili, south of the Bay of Edremit, and put the total death toll at more than 30. It later corrected that report and said the 11 victims were from the same accident and were included in the coast guard officials’ toll.

Ali Sirmali, local administrator for the town of Edremit, said authorities have recovered the bodies of 11 children.

:: People carry a body of one of the migrants that were drowned as they were trying to reach Greece, at a port in Bakilesir, Turkey, on Monday, February 8, 2016. (Photo: IHA via AP)

For Indian tourists travelling by land:- 72 hours (-ve) C-19 report, CCMC form and Antigen Test at entry point

For Indian tourists travelling by land:- 72 hours (-ve) C-19 report, CCMC form and Antigen Test at entry point

Comment here !
Related News

By KIM TONG-HYUNG, SEOUL, South Korea (AP):- North Korea fired two suspected ballistic missiles into the sea Monday in its

By JILL LAWLESS, LONDON (AP):- As he fights for his career, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has one constant refrain:

By YURAS KARMANAU, KYIV, Ukraine (AP):- Ukraine said Sunday that Russia was behind a cyberattack that defaced its government websites

By LORI HINNANT, STRASBOURG, France (AP):- A World Health Organization official warned last week of a “closing window of opportunity”